Monday, June 8, 2009

Cowboy Up

I think I was in desperate need of a getaway. I was feeling cooped up here in the house and itching to get out. Our family has a small ranch in northwest Colorado. It is nothing super fancy but we sure do love and enjoy it. This time of year Daddy is extremely busy going back and forth to tend to our cows and help Grandpa tend to his and ranch stuff. I decided that just like I was desperate to get out of the house the girls were desperate to play in the dirt.

I am always reluctant to go because the drive is so long. That is probably the only thing I really do not like. I wish we lived closer. It takes us 5-6 hours depending on how many times we have to stop for the kids. It is not just how long it is but a lot of that drive is through the mountains. The roads are steep and winding and so much of it freaks me out. My hubby is a really good driver. Most of it is just the fact that I am not behind the wheel and in control. That said, the drive is absolutely gorgeous. I just look out the window and find myself in awe of the Rockies and all their glory. There was still some snow on them. On the drive home we got a bonus and it started raining which quickly turned to snow. We were laughing at the thought of snow in June. Victoria wanted us to stop so she could taste the snow flakes on her tongue.

The trip for us this time was a little rougher because we had to leave after the hubby got off work on Friday. The drive is worse at night and the girls were definitely more irritable. Aside from all that we made it in one piece. The ranch is literally in the middle of nowhere. It is about 90+ miles from the nearest town. There are no luxury items that we are used to having here at home. There is no TV, no phones (unless you want to walk to the top of the hill and hope for a signal), the beds are extremely uncomfortable and there definitely is no internet. Instead we traded all of that for wagons of dirt to play in, horses to ride, a very bumpy ride out to the pasture in Grandpa's rusty old jeep, fresh air, and peace and quiet. It turns out though it was just what we needed. The girls love it there and it does not take much to entertain them. Give them a wagon and shovel and you have enough for hours of fun. For me it was awesome. The only thing I HAD to do was sit in a lawn chair and watch my girls have fun. I grabbed my crochet and sat down to make some dish towels. It was so peaceful and relaxing. There were none of the stresses that I usually had. No feeling like there were so many things to get done and not enough hours in the day to do them. There was no planning and definitely no agendas. The entire weekend was spent winging it and doing whatever the heck we wanted.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics