Monday, February 16, 2009

Recipe Monday - Beef Casserole

Growing up my mom would always make tuna casserole. I am only really a so so fan of tuna so this is my take on this recipe using beef. I have made this same one using a rotisserie chicken as well and it is yummy.

1 lb lean ground beef or ground tukey
1 can cream of mushroom soup
2 cans milk
12 oz macaroni noodles
American cheese
Salt, Pepper, and garlic powder to taste

Brown the meat in a pan. Bring water to a boil and add macaroni. Cook until it is almost done. I usually look at the directions and subtract 2 minutes from the time they recommend. You do this because you are going to bake it and the macaroni will cook further. Do not forget to add salt to your pasta water once it comes to a boil. This will season the pasta while it is cooking.

While all this is happening mix in a bowl the soup, milk, salt, pepper and garlic powder (not garlic salt). I take american cheese and tear it into pieces and add to the soup mixture. You can really use any cheese you want for this. Drain any fat off the meat and then add it to the soup mixture. Once macaroni is ready drain the water and add it to the soup mixture as well. Mix this all together. I take a 9x13 glass pan and spray it with a little cooking spray. Pour the mixture into this pan. Top with a bit more cheese. Cover with tinfoil and bake on 350 for 30 minutes.

Lately I have been using the low fat mushroom soup and adding veggies to this one. Then I serve it with a salad on the side. I am also a huge fan of the Ronzoni Smart Pasta. Lots of fiber and calcium with a great taste.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Shelley K. said...

On the American Cheese--are you talking like slices??? I am a bit confused (not hard to do--the only reason why I wear an apon is to hopefully distract people from my HORRENDOUS cooking!!

But I LOVE casseroles and this looks pretty easy--even I couldn't mess this one up!!

Giliena said...

Yes, I am talking about the slices. I usually just tear them into little pieces and mix them in. Then I tear a couple more and put them on top and press them into the mixtures a bit. I just prefer the way it melts. Who knows, maybe you can find it shredded somewhere but I have not even looked. You can use as much or as little as you want. I like a lot of cheese though. This one is super duper easy and so yummy.

Anonymous said...

Yummmmm! I love casseroles, but I am the only one in my house :)

 
Clicky Web Analytics