Monday, February 23, 2009

Recipe Monday - Easy Enchiladas

My family is a big fan of Mexican food. I learned a lot of recipes from my step mother's family when I was growing up. Eating some of them takes me back to those days. This one I found a long time ago on my own and have modified it to fit my own wants and needs.

1 pkg corn tortillas
1 can enchilada sauce
1 can cream mushroom soup
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 onion
1 16 oz Pkg shredded cheddar or mexican cheese
salt and pepper

Chop onion and brown it in a large skillet with the ground beef. Season beef mixture with some salt and pepper. You can also add whatever other seasonings you like to your beef mixture. Sometimes I like to add a little garlic powder. In a sauce pan combine enchilada sauce and mushroom soup and put on medium low heat. Stir occassionally. Add a couple of tablespoons of the sauce to the beef mixture and stir. Reserve the rest for later.

In a small frying pan heat on medium heat enough oil to cover the tortillas (about 1/4 inch). Once it is heated, put tortillas in oil one at a time making sure they are completely covered and cook for just a few seconds (until they start to bubble). Remove them from the oil onto a paper towel to drain and cool. I usually do 2-3 at a time and then fill them. I like to always have a couple cooling while I am filling. It is just easier on my fingers. :)

Put a couple of tablespoons into the bottom of a 9 x 13 x 2 baking pan. Place a tortillas into the baking pan and spoon some of the beef mixture onto it. Roll it tightly. Repeat until pan is full. I can usually get 9-11 enchiladas in there. If you have leftover beef mixture just pour it into the sauce. I prefer to put the cheese on the enchiladas and then pour the sauce over that. You can do it either way really. You can add as much or as little cheese as you like. Cover with tinfoil and bake for 30 minutes in a 350 degree preheated oven.

These are super simple and so yummy. The cream of mushroom soup adds a really nice flavor to them.

Enjoy!

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics