Sunday, February 1, 2009

Recipe Monday - Carne Guisada

Yes, I know today is Sunday and I usually post my recipe on Monday. This recipe is being featured over at Mommytalk today so I am a day early with this. I am feeling some pressure here though because I have to follow crazy yummy doughnuts and some incredible baked mac n' cheese.

This one is a favorite in my house though so I thought it was a good time to share it. My step mother is Hispanic so I learned a lot of wonderful stuff from her family. I actually used to make homemade tortillas to eat with this and they would send it over the top. That recipe is for another day though. Carne Guisada is also know as a Mexican or TexMex Stew. We usually turn it into tacos which is where the homemade flour tortillas came in.

So, here goes:

2-3 lbs Stew Meat
1 Bell Pepper Chopped
1 Onion Chopped
1 Can Chopped or Crushed Tomatoes Drained
2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tsp cumin
2 Tbsp oil
2 Tbsp Flour
2 - 2 1/2 Cups Beef Broth

Add oil to a large stock pot and heat. Add stew meat and brown on medium high heat. Add Cumin, Salt, Pepper, garlic and flour. Stir frequently and cook for about 2 minutes just to cook the flour some but do not let it burn. Add broth and bring to a boil. You want to make sure the liquid covers the meat by at least an inch. Cover, Reduce heat and simmer. Cook for 1 hour stirring occassionally. Then add the Tomato, Onion and Bell Pepper. I always wait to add the these veggies so they do not disintegrate during the long cooking process. Cover again and simmer for another 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender and literally falling apart. If you want to spice it up just a bit then seed and chop a jalapeno and add it to the pot.

I love to make this whenever I make a roast. I usually buy a big roast and cook it for dinner one night. Then I take the leftover roast meat and add all the ingredients above. In this instance I will sautee the onions and peppers and then add the meat and remaining ingredients. I cook it for about 30-45 minutes in order for all the ingredients to kind of come together. We love it because it takes a leftover meal and creates a completely different flavor. It does not even seem like we are eating leftovers.

Enjoy!

Stumble It!

1 comment:

Days of Whine & Noses said...

HI!

Sounds good! I am new to blogging(outside of MT that is) so stop by and check mine out if you like!

 
Clicky Web Analytics